About Us

CATSI is “Empowering Minds, Shaping Futures Since 1930”

Our History

catsi_logo

Carcar Academy Technical School, Inc. has five (5) meaningful elements imbued in the seal/logo:

The torch: is considered the “torch of education” where there is light to guide and help the students and all the people within the school in their endeavors, and this light brings hope for the best. It is always in the “heart” of everyone at Carcar Academy Technical School, Inc. that if there is hope and guidance nothing is impossible.

The open book: refers to knowledge and education which are given equally to all who trust Carcar Academy Technical School, Inc.

The laurel leaves: stand for excellence – dreams come true for all students at Carcar Academy Technical School, Inc. The leaves represent wisdom, fortitude, knowledge, understanding and fear of the Lord Almighty.

The gear: symbolizes the adaptation of new field of studies and technological changes. These changes are akin to the school which also represent as shield protecting every rights that Carcar Academy Technical School, Inc. has.

The historic year encrypted in the seal 1930: indicates the identity of Carcar Academy Technical School, Inc.

The Carcar Academy story is one of dedication and selfless devotion. The school’s founding was a labor of love.

In 1930 Mr. Catalino Tagimacruz Alfafara left a well-paying teaching job in Cebu City to handle the pioneer, first year class of only eighteen (18) students in the Carcar Academy, the infant secondary school which he had founded in his home town. It was an act of great daring and personal sacrifices to support. But Mr. Alfafara (who become Captain Catalino T. Alfafara of the Philippine Army) was obsessed with the magnificent dream of helping his poor townmates in obtaining a high school education.

The small school grew steadily under Mr. Catalino Alfafara’s zealous guiding hands. As a teacher he was exceedingly versatile. He could handle English literature and composition, algebra, geometry, history, physics and other subjects with exceptional competence. He equipped the students’ mind but never to their souls. He was just as interested in the youths’ character as he was in their intellectual development and achievements. Although he was an idealistic intellectual, he never lost the “human touch”. A courageous dreamer, he was ever aware of harsh realities. As a God-fearing person, he always stressed the importance of moral and spiritual values. Above all, he did not find the school to amass wealth or to exploit the poor students.

In the year 1933 the Carcar Academy gained the government’s seal of recognition after surmounting the multifarious problems and hardship which Mr. Alfafara and his cooperative fellow teachers had taken in stride.

The school year 1933-34 was one of the most trying periods in the history of the Academy. Another school, the Sarusal Institute, was opened in Carcar. Cut-throat competition became inevitable with the new school on the offensive and Carcar Academy fighting with its back to the wall. The Sarusal Institute, with thousands of dollars and new car for the use of its administrators offered free tuition and free textbooks. This opening salvo though deafening did not faze Director Alfafara and Mrs. Primitiva A. Padin, his sister and “second in command”. Using all the meagre resources they could muster, the C.A. administrators, teachers and students fought for dear life. The competition was not only on the financial side but in the academic and extra-curricular aspects as well. The Carcar Academy unstintingly gave its whole-hearted cooperation and contributed much to the success of all civic as well as church activities in the town. Thus the Carcar Academy emerged victorious at year’s end the Sarusal Institute found itself selling its brand new equipment. The new school had to close. So the battle ended, not with a “bang” but with a “whimper”.

The Second World War (1941-1945) was another unforgettable episode in the life of the Carcar Academy. This world holocaust was like a long and dreary winter that forced the school to hibernate. Perhaps it is more accurate to say that the school died. Nothing was left of it but its name. However, although deeply buried under the debris of war, the Carcar Academy, like the legendary phoenix, slowly and painfully rose out of its ashes.

Instrumental in the reopening of the Carcar Academy in 1946 was the Founder’s father, Mr. Maximo Alfafara (a far- sighted farmer lovingly known as Iyo Imoc), first President of the Board of Trustees, who formulated the noble aims and guiding policies of the Carcar Academy for the sake of those students, rich and poor alike, who chose to continue their secondary studies in Carcar. Because Capt. Catalino T. Alfafara died just as a new dawn was breaking over our country, the responsibility of guiding the Carcar Academy during the stormy postwar years fell on the shoulders of Mr. Elpidio A. Padin and Mrs. Primitiva A. Padin, the new director and principal, respectively. These two concerned educators proved themselves more than equal to the great and challenging task.

Stormy indeed and fraught with danger were the waters over which the Carcar Academy sailed. The new administration was confronted with tremendous problems, the aftermath of the war, what with many students emerging from their hiding places in the mountains, almost all of them wild and unruly! Let the reader picture in his/her mind’s eye the undesirable manners and habits acquired by youngsters in the “dog-eat-dog” years of the Japanese occupation, manners and habits which unfortunately resulted in rebellious behaviour and lack of proper decorum inside the classrooms. Let the reader think of the difficulties and dilemmas faced by the administrators who strove to improve the physical facilities and maintain the academic and moral standards and discipline of the school but were handicapped by the fact that no additional investment were poured in by the pre-war stockholders. These happenings seem incredible in retrospect but they are all too true. However, with the help of Divine Providence and the moral support of the parents, the conscientious administrators and faculty members (the most notable of whom is Mrs. Telesfora A. Yap) steered the Carcar Academy safely through the storm. They strove to create in the school a sympathetic atmosphere not merely by means of those amenities that money can buy but seeking to understand the students and their problems.

Still another memorable episode in the history of the school began in 1948. This was the opening of the collegiate department which offered the Junior Normal Course (ETC) in response to the persistent clamour and requests of several experienced and efficient public school teachers who sadly lacked sufficient educational qualifications. This was another real sacrifice on the part of the Carcar Academy in maintaining a complete elementary training department; it had to operate even at a loss.

But the C. A. administrators have already been used to sacrifice for the Academy. After two years of dedication their efforts bore fruit. It was heart-warming for them to see the first Normal graduates in caps and gowns receiving their Elementary Teacher’s Certificates in March 1950. It was gratifying to know that after bidding a fond farewell to their Alma Mater these teachers re-entered the field of education with greater courage, confident that with their added training they would become more effective and efficient teachers.

We should not forget Mr. and Mrs. Padin’s heroic efforts to acquire a decent and spacious sit for the school. Although there was a dearth of financial resources the school management took part in public bidding for the old Philippine railway lot on which the Carcar Academy buildings stood and now still stand. With luck and pluck the Carcar Academy administration came out the winner in said public bidding and now there is no threat of closure for lack of a school site.

Countless Academians are now educators, businessmen, doctors, nurses, pharmacist, CPA’s, lawyers, engineers, secretaries, farmers humble but educated homemakers etc. Some have embraced the religious like the sisters of charity and lay brothers. Because of all these loyal Academians their Alma Matter is filled with great but pardonable pride.

For Mr. and Mrs. Padin, the school reached the highest pinnacle when the superintendent Apolinar Luz of the Bureau of Private Schools declared Carcar Academy the “A-1 School of the South” until it was sold to some trusted C.A Alumni who expressed interest in carrying on the good work of the school and maintaining the standards of its exemplary founder. Thus it came to pass that Mr. and Mrs. Elpidio A. Padin, though still much needed by the people of Carcar, left for the United States on July 4, 1972 to enjoy their well-deserved retirement and reunion with their two children.

The throng of well-wishers who saw Mr. and Mrs. Padin off at the Mactan International Airport all wanted the couple to stay but hey failed.

With meager finances, the new Administration under the leadership of Mr. Zacarias N. Ledesma tried its best to improve the school facilities while striving to maintain the Founders ideal standards. Among the new administrator’s first projects was construction of a concrete basketball court which was completed before the 1973 PRISAA meet was held in Carcar. Since then more projects have been undertaken to further develop the Carcar Academy’s facilities.

During the school year 1974-1975 the rented buildings were vacated because they posed great danger to the students. Additional rooms were constructed to house the continuously increasing enrolment. The road to the Noels residence was moved few yards towards the school football ground and six rooms building was constructed for additional students. The old home economics and two adjacent classrooms were demolished after which the schools front yard was paved with concrete. These were done to attract and accommodate students who would be enrolling in what once known as the “A-1 School of the South”.

Parents and students from the different sectors of town clamored for evening classes in both secondary, academic and special short term vocational courses. Responding to popular clamor, the administration sought permission from the Ministry of Education and Culture Regional Office to open evening classes which was granted. The Carcar Academy offered first and second year high school evening classes together with courses like tailoring and steno typing during the school year 1977-1978. The following school year, the third year academic secondary course and dressmaking were offered. In the night classes turned out the first twenty-three (23) graduates.

The night classes continued its operation for several years which enrolled some household helpers and tricycle drivers to finish their secondary education. Mr. Zacarias N. Ledesma never stopped acquiring adjacent lots of additional buildings.

During school year 1998-199, the school was qualified as one of the recipients of scholarship program as subsidy to the private school from the government through Educational Service Contracting (ESC). At first it was given 25 slots with 1, 500 subsidy per annum then it gradually increased to 30, 40, 50 until it reached to 100 slots for ES grantees in school year 1991-1992 with a yearly subsidy of 1,700.

Visualizing with his dream, Mr. Ledesma kept on improving the facilities of the school enriching the teaching staff by sending them to seminars for efficient performance in classroom management. Unfortunately, he got hypertensive attack on August 7, 1993. His son, Danilo assumed the Position of his father as Acting Director/principal of the school.

It was not easy for Mr. Danilo A. Ledesma to continue the task of his father, for the school was beset with many problems especially maintaining the number of enrollees after the proliferation of barangay high schools nearby which were later converted to national high schools. Despite the financial hardships during his first five years of administering the school, he courageously fought hard for its survival.

He implemented some programs and measures to cushion the impact of the problems on decreasing enrolment from 1994 to 2002. His efforts proved fruitful.

The Carcar Academy has served the community conscientiously and faithfully thru the years. Despite the many trials it has encountered it continues to receive bountiful graces from the almighty like the present physical improvements (landscaped garden and new stage) and the studentry, the faculty, the staff, and the school administration.

We, therefore celebrate this Diamond jubilee with pride in our past and with hope and more bountiful graces for our future…

Carcar Academy Technical School Inc. believes that education ensures holistic development among individuals

Carcar Academy Technical School Inc. envisions to become a transformative learning institution that produces globally competitive individual for sustainability.

Carcar Academy Technical School Inc. commits to provide relevant opportunities responsive to the demands of globalization and sustainability.

To achieve the mission, Carcar Academy Technical School Inc. aims to

  1. Expose individual to real life situations
  2. Inculcate appropriate values
  3. Harness community involvement

Carcar Academy Technical School Inc. is going to

  1. Equip individuals with lifelong learning skills
  2. Integrate values in the curricula
  3. Engage in community-base programs and project

CORE Values

Carcar Academy Technical School Inc. envisions to become a transformative learning institution to become a transformative learning institution that produces globally competitive individual for sustainability.

Carcar Academy Administrators and teachers

Meet all our school administrators and faculty members.

Danilo Ledesma

President

Hera Ledesma

CFO

Teacher Name

Principal

face

Teacher Name

Head Teacher

Teacher Name

Admin1

Teacher Name

Admin 2